Matrox Monarch HD is a small, easy-to-use video streaming and recording appliance designed for professional video producers to stream a live event while simultaneously recording a higher, master quality version for post-event editing or archiving. Webcasting to YouTube and Facebook Live is made easy through its simplified set up for these popular platforms. All that’s needed is to pair the device once with these accounts and it’s automatically retained for subsequent streams.
From any HDMI input source such as a camera or switcher, Monarch HD generates an H.264-encoded stream compliant with RTSP or RTMP protocols. While encoding the video at bitrates suitable for live streaming, Monarch HD simultaneously records a high-quality MP4 or MOV file to an SD card, a USB drive, or a network-mapped drive. Matrox HD is remotely controlled using any computer or mobile device with a web browser.
Easily Webcast to Your Audience
Monarch HD can provide live content to CDNs such as YouTube, Facebook Live, and Ustream; media servers such as Adobe Flash and Wowza; or directly to a computer or device found on a LAN.The device is easily configured and paired for YouTube and Facebook accounts with a few short steps. As a certified “Works with Wowza” encoder it allows users to benefit from enhanced integration with the Wowza™ streaming engine. Additionally, Monarch HD supports XML files generated for use with Flash Live Media Encoder.
Ready to Edit and Upload with MP4 and MOV
Matrox Monarch HD gives the option of recording high quality H.264 video as MP4 or MOV files. These formats offer maximum versatility for use in any application. Upload a file to your own web server or to a Content Delivery Network (CDN) like YouTube. Alternatively, you can directly import the file into most creation tools without the need for file transcoding.
Stream and Record SDI Signals
A/V professionals and broadcast engineers often work with SDI signals from devices like switchers, routers and cameras that do not have HDMI outputs. Matrox Monarch HD can stream and record these signals using Matrox MC-100, a versatile SDI to HDMI convertor. This convertor accepts any HD-SDI or 3G-SDI sources and converts it to an HDMI signal that may be used as a source for the Monarch HD if it is of a supported resolution.
An attractively-priced bundle that includes Matrox Monarch HD and Matrox MC-100 is now available.
Presets and Profiles for Simple Configuration
The Monarch HD firmware ships with a number of typical streaming and recording presets that define all the encoding parameters including resolution and bitrate. Whether preset or custom parameters are used, they only need to be entered once and saved as a unique profile. A profile not only contains encoding parameters but also destination information detailing where the encoded video is being sent. Multiple profiles can be saved if the device is used in different environments. Recording and streaming profiles are saved independently allowing a user to mix and match profiles depending how the Monarch is being used at the time. Each profile can be loaded instantly without having to re-enter data.
Matrox Monarch HD Remote Command and Control
A simple web page is all that is needed to harness the power of Matrox Monarch HD. You can control and configure the appliance using any device on your network that supports a standard web browsing application.
A single Matrox Monarch HD device can act as a master to multiple slave devices. From a single web page, you can simultaneously start the recording and/or streaming of up to four Matrox Monarch HD devices.
Integrate with Crestron
The Monarch HD Control API is an ideal way to integrate Monarch HD functionality into an existing classroom, boardroom or other space equipped with a Crestron control system. Monarch HD registered users are invited to download a sample SIMPL module written to run on Crestron 2-Series® and 3-Series® Room Media Controllers.
Install in a Rack
Matrox offers an optional Monarch HD Rack Mount Kit, an ideal space and cable management accessory which allows a user to fit up to three Monarch HD units in a single 1RU space.
Record Master Quality Video while Streaming
These assets can be made available to your audience as fast turnaround VOD files or as fully post produced highlight reels. Monarch HD supports sharing the H.264 encoder between the streaming and recording processes so recording quality and upload bandwidth are independent of each other. A typical setting will let a user record a master quality file at 25 Mbps while simultaneously streaming at a bitrate of 5 Mbps. As a dedicated streaming or recording appliance, Matrox Monarch HD can stream at bitrates up to 20 Mbps or record at bitrates as high as 30 Mpbs.
Record to Anything with Matrox Monarch HD
Matrox Monarch HD lets you select from a variety of recording media types. Use an SD card when a compact portable solution is required or a USB drive for long form recording. Alternately, a system drive on a computer found on the network may prove extremely useful if multiple individuals need to access the footage.
The Monarch HD provides users the ability to create split files while recording. This is particularly useful when recording for extended periods of time. The user can enter a file length and Monarch HD will automatically split your recording into separate files, switching to a new file without losing a single frame. When loaded on an NLE timeline sequentially, they will playback seamlessly and can be exported as a single contiguous file.
Robust and Practical Design
Powerful and robust, Matrox Monarch HD offers simple, one touch stream and record pushbuttons, low power consumption, a locking power connector, and a fanless design. Matrox Monarch HD’s HDMI output makes it easy to monitor what you are streaming and recording, regardless of whether the signal is received from a camera, a switcher, a signal convertor, or a computer. All eight channels of embedded audio can be passed from the HDMI input to HDMI output ports. Two channels of analog audio input with loopout are also available via 1/8″.
Integrate Matrox Monarch HD into Your Own Application or Environment
Network- or cloud-based video management platform developers, A/V integrators and value-added resellers can use Monarch HD Dev Tools, which include automatic configuration tools and the Monarch HD Control API, to provide a unified, consistent and branded user experience. Individual users need not interact with the Monarch HD Command Center web UI, which can simplify enterprise-level and centrally administered deployments.
Control API is an HTTP-based API that lets system integrators create their own control software to start, stop, set streaming bitrate and destination, and get the status of a Monarch HD device. The Command Center or the automatic configuration tools are used to initially configure devices with complete streaming and recording parameters. Once set up, units can be controlled using the custom application, on-device buttons only or the Command Center.
- Simultaneous Live Streaming & Recording.
- HDMI Input and Output.
- Up to 20Mbps Streaming/30Mbps Recording.
- H.264 RTSP/RTMP Compliant Streaming.
- H.264 MP4 Recording with 2 Ch AAC Audio.
- Multi-Tap 10-Bit Scaler & De-Interlacer.
- Web UI Accessible on Phone, Tablet, PC.
- Start/Stop Front Panel Push Buttons.
- Operates on Linux O/S.
HDMI Video Input
- Progressive: 1920 x 1080 @ 60/59.94/50/24/23.98 fps / 1280 x 720 @ 60/59.94/50 fps
- Interlaced: 1920 x 1080i @ 29.97/25 fps
- Video input format is auto-detected
HDMI Video Output
- Pass-through of video input signal 1 frame delay from input to output
- Processes first two channels of audio embedded in HDMI input signal
- Unbalanced analog stereo input via 1/8″ jack (3.5 mm)
- Line level
- Pass-through of all embedded audio channels in HDMI signal
- Unbalanced analog stereo output via 1/8″ jack (3.5 mm) — pass-through of input Line level
- Built-in H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC).
- Resolutions: 96 x 96 to 1920 x 1080
Video Bit Rates
- 100 kbps to 30 Mbps for recording
- 100 kbps to 20 Mbps for streaming
- When both streaming and recording resolutions are above 1280 x 720, the encode parameters must be identical for both processes. Independent record and streaming settings are available when either the streaming or the recording resolution is 1280 x 720 or below
Encode Frame Rates
- Encode frame rates representing 1:1, 1/4, and 1/4 of the input frames rates are supported
- The maximum encoded frame rate is 30 fps when input resolution is 1920 x 1080
- Encoding Profiles: Baseline, Main, and High
- Encoding Controls: 0, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1 level support
- IBP GOP size and structure
- Variable bit rate support
- De-blocking filter
- Audio Encoder: MPEG-4 AAC
- Audio Encoding: Standard AAC-LC
- Sample Frequency: 44.1 and 48 kHz when digitized from analog source
- Channels: 2 channels stereo (L/R)
- Audio Bit Rates: Range from 96 kbps to 256 kbps
- High quality multi-tap 10-bit scaler and de-interlacer
- Advanced noise filtering
- Available to both streaming and recording operations
- MP4 with two channels of embedded AAC audio
- Network Interface: RJ45 connector providing 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet with Static or DHCP addressing.
- RTMP, RTSP/RTP
- IPv4 support
- Unicast and Multi Unicast
- HTTP computer based control via standard PC or Mac web browser
- Front panel push buttons for independent streaming and recording Start/Stop control
- 2x USB 2.0:
- Support for NTFS file system
- Monarch HD will support writing to USB 3.0 devices at USB 2.0 speeds
- 1x SD card slot: Supports SD and SDHC cards
- Network mapped drive: Support for writing to Shared Folders in computers found on a network using NFS or Windows share protocols
Transport and Storage
- Max operating altitude: 9,842 ft (3,000 m)
- Max transport altitude: 39,370 ft (12,000 m)
- Storage humidity: 5 to 95% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- FCC Class B, CE Mark Class B, ACMA C-Tick Mark, VCCI
- RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC
- Line voltage: 100-240 V AC, 0.5A
- Frequency: 50-60 Hz
- Input: external AC/DC adapter — IEC320-C14
- Output: +5 VDC, 3A max
- Total power consumption: 15 W
- DIN4 locking power connector
- Operating Temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
- Operating Humidity: 20 to 80% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Dimensions: 5.6 x 4.3 x 1.2″ (14.2 x 10.9 x 3 / 5.6 x 4.4 x 1.2″ (14.2 x 11.2 x 3 cm) with optional SD card inserted
- Weight: 0.66 lb (300 g) excluding power supply
- Package Weight 4 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH) 1 x 5.6 x 3.0″